Introduce yourself and meet others

Hello, nfelts! I’m so happy to meet you. I am also in Baltimore County, have a background in biology and science communication, and am interested in forming or joining an IC focused on nature restoration!
Let’s talk, get together (outside), or write to each other.
Cindyspitzer@gmail.com

3 Likes

Hello, just signed up on the forum and learning how to navigate my way thru the unfamiliar to me software here.

4 Likes

I really like this!, Thanks!

• What should we call you?:

Alex

• Where are you living?

Barcelona, Spain

• Do you live in an intentional community now?

No

• What are your experiences in community?

I have volunteered in a few communities in Europe, specially in Spain. I’ve been interested in the ecovillage movement for a few years now. (Armejún, Vidalia, Arterra, Sekier, Pipirimosca)

• Special talents

I know a little bit about many things, basic knowledge on many skills

• Interests

Many different areas. Currently I’m spending time thinking how to make money to support myself economicallly while working remotely no more than 20h/week. And at the same time interested in farming, agriculture, permaculture, carpentry, living harmoniously together with other people.

• Why are you here?

Be closer to other people with similar interests, goals and purposes as mine. I’m currently taking small steps towards living in community.

7 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Introduce yourself and meet others:

I was very active as a consultant in the IC movement for a couple of decades over a decade ago. I moved to CA in 2014 to heal; and fled back to the east coast recently to escape the wildfires and smoke. I am a climate refugee.

I would like to “get back in the saddle” again. I am posting here to let folks know I am working on a new book and beginning to teach again. I have expertise in governance and consensus decision making, facilitation, mediation, effective communication, grassroots organizing, and creative conflict resolution.

I welcome new connections and challenging questions.

6 Likes

Hello! I’m not sure if this is the place to put my introduction but my name is Catherine. I am interested in living in community with people who are actively working towards healing and connecting with each other and the earth. I am currently living in Connecticut but I am open to relocating. Many blessings to you all!

6 Likes

Hi, I’m Edie Lewis form Sunward Cohousing in Ann Arbor, Michigan. I have lived here for 11 1/2 years and am an African American woman who thrives in communities where my total self is recognized and honored. Having experienced community living in the U.S., Ghana, Germany, and Mexico, I continue to find myself struggling with understanding the operational definitions used by some cohousing projects in the U.S. I mean by that the deliberate inclusion (or lack thereof) of factors such as ethnicity, class, ability, gender identify/expression, and skill level in the construction of activities, governance, daily living and communicationwithin our various communities. I have joined this forum to learn from others how they are managing these issues and to broaden my own sense of belonging to an international cohousing network.

6 Likes

Hi Geoffrey :wave:, I think I am in a similar situation as yours. I’m making smalls steps towards living in community. Myself I’ve visited some communities and now I’m in the process of trying to figure out how to support myself while living in commity. Nice to meet you :call_me_hand:.

3 Likes

Hi, I’m aihi from upstate NY. Glad to be a part of this community. I’m a recently retired university professor and narrative psychologist (the psychology of your personal life story). I specialize in helping people work through memories of ACEs (adverse childhood experiences) and the aftermath of ACEs.

4 Likes

Beautiful, Cecile. Thanks for this confirmation that I’m in the right place :).

3 Likes

Hello. My name is Yochai Gal.

I live at Rocky Hill Cohousing in Northampton, MA. I also work for TechCollective, a worker-owned IT firm. I’m currently the chair of Membership at RHC.

Thanks for setting up a Discourse forum! It is the best. Let me know if you need a technical assistance - I’ve set up a few of these.

5 Likes

Hi :slight_smile:

My name is Stephan (pronouns he/tehy) and I founded and live in a queer and hybrid ecovillage project in Portugal (The Quinta Project). We are a bit of an unusual set-up, as we “behave” like an intentional community, though most of us do not live permanently on our property.

The “hub” is a 5.5 hectare farm in the Sao Mamede natural park in Portugal, close to the Spanish border. Our focus is on queer ecology (and probably queering ecology) - and restoring the land that is our shared space.

I’m really looking forward to connecting with other projects around the world, learn and exchange ideas … and let’s see what we can do together.

Lots of love
Stephan

5 Likes

Hi, my name is Sylvia and I live in NYC in a small HDFC co-op, self-managed. HDFC means Housing Development Fund Corp. which is a program to reclaim urban space on the Lower East Side, and other parts of NYC.
I am retired and free to pursue or get involved with things I love. I am a member of a community garden for about 3 years now, and also volunteer at the Rudolf Steiner Bookstore for about 10+ years.
My talents are “everywhere” as I have many interests. To name a few, I have experience in auto-mechanics so am technically oriented. I attended Cooper Union School of Find Arts…studied Homeopathy, and Sound, Color, and Movement. I am now involved in Anthroposophy thru the Rudolf Steiner Bookstore and am member of the NYC branch, and love it.
I am looking into the possibility of connecting with alternative living communities, hopefully on the East Coast, but would consider other places. To be honest, I don’t want to leave NYC as I am quite happy here, paying low rent, which gives me financial freedom. But considering what’s going on in this world right now, I am thinking otherwise.
Good to have found this community and share in its explorations.

5 Likes

Hi! Wonderful to have an intentional communities forum!

My name is Oren and I live at Sunrise Ranch in Loveland, Colorado since 2007. Thanks to FIC I learned about Sunrise at a communities conference at Twin Oaks after staying briefly in many communities found in the database. Sunrise Ranch was established in 1945 and currently encompasses 360 acres, has 5 acres of gardens and an acre of greenhouses producing over 100,000 pounds of produce per year, 300 livestock, and is host to dozens of soulful conference groups from around the world.

We also have an online spiritual community called Becoming A Sun Programs.

My father was raised on a kibbutz in Israel, and after visiting there as a child I was deeply unsatisfied with isolated living and determined to raise my kids in community. Until I found FIC I thought intentional communities hadn’t picked up in the US yet and was sooo glad to find the database.

My talents are songwriting, poetry, workshop facilitation, attunement, and fatherhood.

My interests are for communities to unite and help one another in many ways.

I am here to bring a depth of presence dedicated to the source and embodiment of love.
DSC06702-M

7 Likes

Hey Adam… have you ever considered Hawai’i? What you mention really fits the bill with what I’ve got going on here. Touch base with me if you’d like to talk more. Aloha!
Kaleo :smiley:

3 Likes

Hey everyone, this is Sam in northern New Hampshire USA. Not living in an intentional community now, but am exploring the idea for a few years down the road. I have some basic skills in carpentry, plumbing, and electrical work. Wife is an expert gardener. We’d like to find some kind of eco village and/or co-housing situation in northern New England or upstate New York.

4 Likes

Hi Sam, my name is also Sam and everything you wrote is true of me too, except location; I’m in southern Indiana. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey Sam. Thanks for connecting.

1 Like

Hi, I’m Sam, from Indiana. I’m homesteading with my wife and kids, and I work at house renovation currently. We are interested in community, personally I’d probably prefer moving to an established one, but my wife is pretty attached to our land and sheep, and maybe we could start a community here.

I am a nerd and like ideas that have an abstract, systematic side and a human connection, like personality theories, parts of religion and politics, and strategy games. The environment is especially important to me, and I hope to get to a negative carbon footprint within ten years. I grew up on a farm and love the outdoors. I’m a progressive Christian.

4 Likes

Hi Sam. My wife, daughter and I live in a small exurban house in the White Mountains. We’ve done some work to make it more like a real home, rather than just a house…like adding a woodshed, a chicken house/greenhouse combination, and a pretty good-sized raised-bed garden. We grow some vegetables in the garden every year. But, the growing season up here is short, and we don’t have that much land. We plan to clear a few more trees and expand the garden. I work as a professor of meteorology and physics, and am fairly nerdy (although I’ve never used that word on myself). I’m an agnostic Jew. My wife is a non-practicing Christian… I do a lot of reading about philosophy and politics. My wife is interested in ancient pagan beliefs, and how they play out in the modern world.

3 Likes

@wxnil hi Sam, we have sheep and chickens, fruit and nut trees, and a garden, still learning about growing all of those.
I took some Hebrew classes at a synagogue a long time ago, enjoyed that. Religion is interesting to learn about, but the more I learn the more things I tend to get agnostic about.

2 Likes