Introduce yourself and meet others

That’s great Geoffrey. What’s a stay you’ve loved?

1 Like

I forgot to add that I am currently from Detroit, Michigan

1 Like

Hello. I’m Adam Morrison (he/him). I work as a massage therapist and have lived in San Francisco for thirty years—the city has it’s tentacles around my heart, but alas, it’s time for me to fly—-probably to Costa Rica where I’d love to co-create a permaculture-based community or homestead, surf, play beach volleyball, do natural building, grow food, and generally have a grand ole time. Other area of interest are the Central Coast and Southern California.

Thanks for creating this forum—great idea! Go Team FIC!

7 Likes

Hey y’all, I’m Elsbeth (she/her pronouns). I’ve been part of the team working on getting this forum started for the past year, and I’m very excited that we’re so close to publicly launching! You’ll see me interacting with the forum in a community manager/moderator role.

I currently live in Tacoma, Washington with @m.frankit.t and @drbrettschneider, in a 111 year old house that we bought together last spring. We moved in together to start living in a small community home while we dream and plan together for our future larger intentional community home(s). Big projects around our house right now are getting a large veggie/fruit garden going, and remodeling an outbuilding into a sauna + warm hangout room.

I moved into a co-op house in my early 20s and fell in love with community living, and have been doing it in some form or another for the last 15 years. I get excited about anything food related, and I love facilitation and systems building/organization. The ongoing relational and interpersonal work of living in community feels incredibly nourishing to me, and I hope to co-parent children in community with other queer folks some day.

11 Likes

What should we call you?
Maxeem, an anglicized Russian Максим (“Max”). It connects me to my indigenous roots. Any pronouns are great! It’s a privilege to be recognized as human at all.

Where are you living? Do you live in an intentional community now?
Though raised in/on Dakota land, I am living in/on Tohono O’odham land presently. My partner and I are seeking co-founders for our community concept UCRA.

What are your experiences in community?
I lived at The Students’ Coop (Minneapolis) for a cumulative 3 years, and “toured” a number of communities in Australia and USA. I love and admire ICs. To me the only thing lacking is enough of them for all the need.

Interests/skills
connection to nature; optimism; researching reality; creating art; humanity

Why are you here?
I was invited to test run the forum, post topics and initiate interactions. It’s exciting!

5 Likes

Hey y’all! My name is Sky. I’ve lived in several communities over the last 20+ years, and have been on both Board and Staff for the FIC. I’m currently focused on community consulting while I work with others on starting a new community. Intentional community is my life! www.incommunity.us

9 Likes

Hi all! I’m Emlyn [em - lyn], and I use she/her pronouns. I currently live in a converted school bus in rural CT, where I’m getting my master’s in natural resources. I also enjoy working part-time for FIC on our social media team.

I recently lived at Birdsfoot Community in northern NY (right up by Canada) for 3 years while working as an environmental educator in the local community. My partner and I have dreams to start a homestead and (maybe) small community in western Maine this year.

I love community meals, felting, working with goats, and sitting by the wood stove. This time of year I love skiing with my dog River - we’re even learning to skijor! Here’s a pic of her helping me do some computer work outside in the summer.

4 Likes

Hi!

I am Bianca (she/her), living in Brazil, developing an heirloom seed farm and a social project aiming at food security. I also work as a video editor at FIC and am glad to join a movement that supports communities around the globe.

I have visited several communities mainly in Brazil and Asia and have the plan to either join one or create one in upcoming years!

4 Likes

Hi Bianca! So fun to see you here in the forum… would love to see some pictures from your farm sometime!

2 Likes

Howdy everyone! My name is Ryan (she/her), and I started my intentional community journey at Nickel City Housing Co-op in Buffalo, NY, and now reside in a small co-living community in New England. I work for FIC as their Community Engagement Coordinator. I manage the directory, and you can also see me from time to time hosting events and courses. In my free time I like to play my ukulele, visit different cities/couchsurf, play cribbage as well as other card/board games, go pond swimming/skating (season dependent, of course), craft alongside my friends or housemates, and read about intentional community history.

I have so many things that I am in the process of learning, and want to continue to learn. I started piano lessons with someone local to me, I learned some ASL living at NCHC and have continued taking classes through Queer ASL, and I also started a garden last year with varying success, but I am excited to try again this year. I really want to learn more of the traditional crafts while I’m living up here in New England, as well as some more homesteading skills while I have the space to do so.

I’m excited for this forum, and the chance to connect with you all! :hugs:

8 Likes

Ryan! So excited to connect with you more in this space.

You and @m.frankit.t should talk about ASL stuff!

zoom platform may be a good alternate way of sharing conversations! glad to meet you teel!

Hi Osa, Wow! sounds like a pretty unique and interesting way to experience being here on the planet! I love the diversity that you must experience with the different life situations that you mention here. Also, your passion for using technology ethically, and to support communities. I think that will only become more important as time goes on!

1 Like

Hi Cynthia, glad to hear about your “job description”. I imagine you are pretty busy and becoming more so in these days! I hope to be connecting with you as I continue developing my own search for “place”. I mean that on various levels!!
I am here reading about all of you in this class and enamored of the interesting and diverse group that has come together. I am also here learning how to use this forum for discussions! I was trying to reply to various posts and see that theres a limit of 3 . I’m wanting to intro myself, so I will add it on here…

I live in northwest north carolina in a very rural setting, outside of a small town that has become more popular with city folk, as the “2nd home in the mountains” has gained popularity. I have been here 40 years with my partner. We came here without much, built a home, a garden, and a craft business and developed friendships with many others in the general region, who had also moved here about the same time, (1980) from various parts. Independent folks, wanting to create a life closer to the land, many of them raising families… Unfortunately for me, most of them are a half hour to hour drive, just for a get together… So I have been visioning "community/village on some level, for many years now . I love and value solitude, but also value greatly, having more people in my #1 and #2 zones of intimacy. My heart is happy experiencing resonance purpose and connection!
I believe that we are deeply embedded in seeding and crafting a new paradigm for human evolution here on the planet… and its all about deeply learning and embodying the idea that we are ONE and learning how to live accordingly. Not the culture that we were raised in or the archteypal patterns in our ancestral DNA. So theres lots to learn and lots to heal… I resonate with finding like hearted /minded folks to learn and create in this new way. My partner and I have always held the idea that we would bring others here on our land, to create this, …or we would move somewhere else and co create or join in. At this time in our elderhood, it definitely feels like the time to “get on with it” is now! So thats why I am here!
I resonate with the idea of the 400 year cathedral, but I also believe that the miracles and mysteries of Divine Intelligence, will show us many things that we now, cant imagine. So I am open to experiencing more visible evolutionary humanity in my own lifetime…
My 101 (102 in june) mother has been living here with us for the past 18months. (from assisted at the outset of covid) I deeply believe that this is the way of care for elders, but it needs to be tweaked, because its a community project, caring for those who need care, whatever age, but especially kids and elderly. so I can see this as a foundation for a Community learning to care for … all. Intergenerational and more. I like the idea of creating a place for people to transition in a conscious environment. This feels deeply important.
I have studied non violent communication and healing collective and individual trauma… My community experience has /is evolving in a shamanic tradition out of the Brazilian amazon… Gonna cut it here. I am happy to be here and look forward to more juicy conversations and connections.

3 Likes

Hi @diane_baker ! Thanks so much for introducing yourself here — we’re very glad to have you joining the discussion forum.

From your post, it sounds like you’re also a student in the Becoming a Communitarian class, and like you may have intended to post in the Introduction topic for the course participants. Please keep participating here in the general forum as well, but I wanted you to find your way to your class space if that’s where you’d intended to share this introduction. :blush:

Hi , I’m Mitra - I currently live in the Gondwana community just north of Byron Bay in Australia. Its a community of about 50 people in 11 houses start in 1988 i.e. it pre-dated the terms “co-housing” and “eco-village” but has aspects of both.
I’ve lived in communities all my adult life - from 3 people to several thousand and have visited many others for varying amounts of time.
I’m a serial social entrepreneur, and these days mostly mentor innovators working on solutions to big problems that are at least partly technology based. For example water treatment in Bangladesh; anti-viral masks; rocket stoves. I’m passionate about scaling solutions to the size of the problem they are solving. I’ve long been involved with permaculture which I see, like intentional communities, as a great solution with problems going to scale.
Interests … dance (especially 5 Rhythms, Open Floor, Contact Improve); Renewable energy; communities coming together to solve problems;.
#Gondwana #australia #dance #renewableenergy #water

5 Likes

I am Brad.
I live in northwestern Ontario, Canada in a Boreal forest wilderness near the southern edge of the Canadian Shield.
The climate and setting is rugged, but for a small number of us, it is an integral part of who we are.
I have been trying to establish a community here for over 10 years with no real success to speak of, but I do not know what else I could possibly be doing. :wink:
NOESERC is my latest attempt at bringing this forth.
My talent, or curse, is that I invent things.
That I MUST invent things.
It definitely keeps me occupied.
I am here because I think that establishing vibrant communities is the only way we are going to survive and maybe, just maybe, there are others out there who think living in a northern wilderness sounds like a good idea.
All the best of luck to everyone.
Brad

2 Likes

Hi I’m Timothy I’m 42 from the east coast I’m trying to find a work share/ eco community I’m on a really fixed monthly income and really need to join a community of like minded people. Any help would be greatly appreciated

2 Likes

Hello All! Great to be here with you on this new forum!

I like to be called Cecile, I currently live at Dancing Catamount Cooperative Homestead, and have been engaged with intentional community for about 30 years.

Special talents include creating spaces of sanctuary, helping teams share power, inquiring into challenging arenas, and dancing in synergy with others.

I care deeply about our precious planet and its incredible beauty and diversity. I find deep meaning in investing my life in relatedness to our earth and its people, sharing the growing of ourselves and our food as a healing practice. I believe learning to reliably share power with others is the key skill of our era and one we must integrate to survive as a species.

I am here because I believe relationship and relatedness is the key to our healthy evolution as a species and community affords us a place to embody this.

8 Likes

Hello! My name is Katie (she/hers) and I am a member of the Valley of Light community in southwest Virginia. You can see our community listing here:

We’ve been building our community for the last five years or so (with most of our focus being on our documents and building on the campus) and have started seriously focusing in on recruitment over the last couple of years.

This is the only intentional community I have been a part of, though we have a friendship with Damanhur in Italy, which has been helpful and meaningful to us.

I’m here to see what I can learn from others, to offer any knowledge I can to those asking for it, and to represent VOL. Thanks for having me. :slight_smile:

6 Likes