Rethinking the Future of Intentional Communities

Given the increasingly dramatic impacts of climate change, economic collapse, and social inequality, intentional communities are set to become models for how humans can live high-quality and low-impact lives together. The world will be looking at us! This scenario raises two questions for us, both as individuals and as communities:

• Who will we need to be then? And
  • How will we get from here to there?
1 Like

Yes!
Say it outloud!
What will you eat today? Who grew and harvested it?
(Giant corps and refugees?)
Sitting indoors w a screen is the climate problem. The first world over.
Gardens are The Oasis. Takes hands and time.
I post here. Zero response , uh, you too
Now you can pay online to talky talky read all about it.
This is not a 2 Dimensional problem.
Everyone can help a gardener near them. 3D
No time to buy land and start a farm.
Make friends at the Farmers Mkt !
Best to you
Chris
Ic directory- Extinction Rebellion

2 Likes

Everyone is welcome to contribute to this open-source catalog of proven, smart solutions from ecovillages and other intentional communities. https://www.appropedia.org/Ecovillages_%26_Intentional_Communities_Energy_and_Climate_Action_Research_Project

My User Page on the Appropedia Wiki shows my many project areas and interests: https://www.appropedia.org/User:TomStanton

I look forward to the discussion on June 14!

Tom Stanton, Founder/Principal, Community Energy Solutions, LLC
Stantontom1 at gmail dot com
Office/mobile/voice/sms = +1 (517) 775-7764,
generally 9a to 5p, M-F, U.S. Eastern Time Zone, with other hours by appointment.

1 Like

Hi there!
We’ve just created a new topic sharing links & resources from the Rethinking the Future of Intentional Community Webinar.
Take a look and share any additional resources here: Links & Resources from Rethinking the Future of ICs webinar

1 Like

Daniel and IC team – I was struck by these ideas from the Webinar, so added these quotes to a presentation I’m preparing for the GEN-Europe Gathering and Expo being held in Sweden in August.

• “Where are the holistic solutions? Where are the places that are trying to live locally, connected globally…? I don’t know better examples of that than community and eco-villages. [H]ow do we live high-quality, low-impact lives together? How do we do this collective visioning process together? How do we prioritize living in harmony with each other and the planet?”

• “There’s never been anything … found in any intentional community or ecovillage that you couldn’t find being done better on its own, outside … better energy systems, better food systems, better green buildings. Ecovillages are not cutting edge in individual technologies. We are cutting edge in pulling the pieces together … creat[ing] holistic solutions, low-cost solutions, human-scale solutions: [Ecovillages] are the beta-test centers for creat[ing] culture [and] stories of how do we live locally and in more harmony with each other and the planet.”

Quoting Daniel Greenberg, Co-Executive Director, Foundation for Intentional Community, speaking in Rethinking the future of Intentional Communities [Youtube Video], June 14, 2024.

1 Like

Daniel was also asking about how to generate something like systems maps for consideration. I have a short-list of the best frameworks I have learned about so far, for doing the comprehensive whole systems planning. The different frameworks are listed in the Open-Source Appropedia Ecovillages and Intentional Communities Solutions Database (https://www.appropedia.org/Ecovillages_%26_Intentional_Communities_Energy_and_Climate_Action_Research_Project). <Because I am a “new user here” I cannot post more than two hotlinks. I certainly invite you to copy and post the list, with the hotlinks.>

DESIGN GUIDES AND FRAMEWORKS

Concepts and case studies her will be peer reviewed and categorized, with as many ideas as practical incorporated into or referencing preexisting, comprehensive design guides. Here is a preliminary list of such guides and frameworks that are intended to help users identify existing or potential problems, and avoid problems by applying smart designs, whole systems thinking, and solutions that are understood to help avoid potential problems.

• [Architecture 2030 design palette]
  • [Architecture 2030] and [2030 Districts]
  • [Donut Economics]
  • [Foundation for Intentional Communities]
  • [Global Ecovillage Network]
    • Global Ecovillage Network, ***[The Ecovillage Impact Assessment]
    • Global Ecovillage Network, [Solution Library] The Solution Library already includes major topics of Ecology, Economy, and Integral Design. ***
    • Global Ecovillage Network, [Ecovillage Design Cards] – available in multiple different languages. GEN’s 32 Ecovillage Principles translate into 32 Ecovillage Design Cards. The cards are divided into five groups – four Areas of Regeneration (culture, economy, ecology and social) arranged around one central path of transformation: integral design. [E]ach Ecovillage Design Card is composed of the Ecovillage Principle, the corresponding Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), and questions of the Ecovillage Impact Assessment (Level 1). [An online] video introduces and presents the SDG Edition of the Ecovillage Design Cards on the Map of Regeneration."
  • [LivingFuture dot org] and the [Living Building Challenge]
  • [The Natural Step]
  • [PatternLanguage dot com]
  • *[Pattern Language for a Conservation Economy]
1 Like

Matching AND transporting those who are able and willing to the places which need the able and willing… that’s one thing.

The other is becoming political. The Human Race will continue to be gaslighted by the 1% as long as We continue to allow b them to do so. We CAN overcome their control, but itt’s going to take more than a bunch of atomized ICs

1 Like