I'm done with trying to build a community

I can’t get IC to post/approve my community listing, and when I did have it listed I only heard from people who seemed interested but they would never respond when I followed up with them. I’m done. Selling the land and moving on to other things. If anyone is interested in buying slightly movre than 2 acres of high desert raw, off grid land in Kern County (California), let me know. trufflestrumpets, that’s at gmail. I’m deleting my account here.

“…I’m deleting my account …”
no reply needed as one can not
8^ )
In Community,

• Chad

I think this is actually an instructive topic, though a bit dramatic in its delivery.

What happens when attempts don’t yield results right away? Well back at the beginning of the year I wanted to get something going, I was excited and gung-ho about it, … but the timing wasn’t right. Now its time to think about it again with a slightly different perspective, but this time I’m moving slow, observing, learning, taking my time and not expecting it to come together right away. And this approach may, or may not, yield results anytime soon, or even ever. But I learnt a lot about myself and others and community planning at the start of the year, and now I want to learn more about this community thing in whatever way it happens or comes together. :slight_smile:

If I were in this position, where I had land and wanted community, here are the things this me would tell that me, from what I’ve learnt so far:
1, this takes time, there could be several fits and starts before things really pick up and happen.
2, I listened to the Inside Community podcast about central leader communities and how, even though they tend to be more efficient in some ways, they can be challenging in other ways and require people who fit well with the goals of the leader, and that can take time and hard work to find said people.

3, IC.org is only one way to advertise one’s community goals. Facebook and other social media, one’s real-life friends/neighbours/people one knows. Even craigslist can work. Its important to diversify the way one seeks community members.

2 Likes

Exactly, @RionaAndLogan.
Another issue is place. The very remote places where land is affordable are often far from health care, services, town life, etc., and aren’t known to many people. So inviting folks to start something where they do not know people and there are few, if any, jobs is a stretch.
Publicize a place outside of San Francisco, and you’ll easily get a lot of prospects. I am no longer there, now living outside of Boston. I would love to do something here.