Rules for Zoning Land re. Dwellings

I know that zoning is an issue for a lot of folks, sometimes people buy land and, oopsy, it isn’t zoned for the goals the community has. I know that having a realtor can help with this problem, but my question is how often a varience (change in zoning) can be obtained.

There doesn’t seem to be a community in the two counties I want to live in that would fit us and our needs, and so I seek to find cofounders or join someone else’s group of cofounders. In my imaginings I’d like this future community to have a variety of housing options including single-family (on the smaller end), tiny houses, maybe modulars, maybe container houses, yurts, , and maybe a small multiple-unit dwelling, so folks have choices of how they want to live.

Is there a way in Oregon, or anywhere who has zoning rules, to have such a variety of housing options on one parcel of land (I’m thinking 10 acres-ish? Or would we have to buy multiple properties next to each other and have certain types of dwellings on different adjacent properties?

Not to mention the question of the commonhouse, someone told me that a commonhouse counts as a “barndaminium” which gets around zoning laws? But I don’t know how that works or if its true everywhere etc.

Any info is welcome

1 Like

So one of my cofounders has recently begun a new career in real estate and what she says about zoning is terrifying re. community potential, not good at all. I’m hoping we can get lots of veriances, because yikes. Its discouraging but I’m hoping that maybe there are some loopholes we can take advantage of in the zoning codes.

I’d like to follow this thread and stay current with your progress!

Well there are 8 of us cofounders, we had our first official meeting last night and myself and my husband need to meet with some professionals to see if any of the first-time homebuyer/property buyer grants could be used in conjunction with others in purchasing land and getting started. Our next meeting will happen once we’ve had that appointment. Another couple will qualify for loans and has a little bit put by for downpayment, and another member has a bit put by for downpayment but wouldn’t qualify for loans, etc. So now we’re getting bogged down in reality and its discouraging.