Housing Co-op and Land Trust

Hello All,

I am currently looking at the best legal structure for my intentional community, and I am leaning towards the Co-op with an LLC or Land Trust. I was wondering who here is setup under one of these, and how is it going for you, and could you provide some insight like resources I could go to and get a better idea of the two.

1 Like

Hi @misstnsteph, Letting you know that I just added the tags ā€œresourcesā€, ā€œlegalā€, and ā€œfounderā€ to your topic! Weā€™re trying to keep this forum pretty organized, so if you can add relevant tags to your future topics, weā€™d appreciate that participation. You can learn more about adding tags in our Getting Started document!

2 Likes

This is (somewhat) dependent on your location. This is a good resource, I think, to get started: https://www.nasco.coop/sites/default/files/srl/Organizer's%20Handbook-2020%20edition%20[Compressed%20Book%20Layout].pdf
and if you live in the Northeast U.S., this has some good resources:
Resource Center ā€“ Cooperative Development Institute

2 Likes

I suggest checking out the website of Grounded Solutions. They have a lot on CLTs. Also the School of Living which uses CLTs with intentional communities.

Replying again from my personal perspective, rather than as a moderator:

My community is also thinking deeply about these structural questions. Right now, the three of us own a house together as individuals and donā€™t yet have a legal ā€˜businessā€™ entity. Weā€™ve been using a book called Creating a Life Together by Diana Leafe Christian to help guide our process, and there are a few chapters in it on the different legal structures available to intentional communities

If you are in California the best resource would be Sustainable Economies Law Center (theselc.org).

1 Like

Hi Stephanie! FIC team member here. This is a great short video on CLTs from the FIC youtube channel. We hosted this event a while back with School of Livingā€™s (SOL) Karen Stupski and Herb Goldstein so this is their take on CLTs.

Thanks for sharing about your process here on the forum! Iā€™m starting a homestead in Maine with my partner and weā€™re interested in potentially expanding it into a CLT too.

From what Iā€™ve learnt so far I feel like an LLC makes the most sense to me for what Iā€™d like to either start or join. People own their house/unit, but everyone collectively owns the land together and makes decisions accordingly. I know that in some communities one or a couple community members own the land, but I feel like that could get lop-sided in regards to distribution of power in community decision-making and so it doesnā€™t feel like the right model for me. Additionally, being a 501C3 or being a land trust seems to have a lot more organized rules that legal entities have made, rather than the autonomy I think an LLC would/could have.

Iā€™d love to get more input on these ideas to see if Iā€™m wrong or just find out what is working for others here.

Iā€™m also starting to see some potential advantages in owning together as a nonprofit (less taxes), or a private landtrust.