As someone who is interested in joining an intentional community and also extremely new to the process, I was wondering if those more experienced have any advice, suggestions, or warnings to share. I’d also encourage people like myself to share any specific questions or concerns that they might have as well.
Some questions I have:
- How did you end up joining your first community?
- What were some elements you weren’t prepared for that you would want other people to avoid?
- What were some positive experiences that you weren’t anticipating?
- What were your expectations, if you had any, before joining? How did they change?
If you are a part of a community leadership or member intake:
- How did you go about establishing member applications and what was most important to you in that process?
- What was/is the process for applying?
- What do you look for in applicants?
- What do you not want to see from applicants?
- How do you come to agreements about new members?
- What is the new member process like?
Feel free to pick and choose questions, or come up with and answer a totally different one! I am just a very curious and anxious person that wants to put my best foot forward in any new space, so information like this helps a lot.