Am I an IC candidate

Continuing the discussion from Questions About Joining Your First Intentional Community:

Hello, I’ve just begun my exploration of ICs. I’m a single hetero almost-empty nester living in Chicago for 28 years and other cities before that. I like city life and am not really looking to relocate. I love the idea of living in community, especially for belonging, connection, fun, etc. My core belief is that we humans are meant to be part of groups/communities, and I feel best when I am. I have a vision of my making dinner for my “neighbors” while one of them is walking the dogs and another is running to the store to pick up a few things for all of us. And over dinner we’re planning a trip that’s a few months away or a Saturday night activity. If one of us needs help, care, an ear, or a cat sitter, there’s always someone there. I guess my question is whether there are ICs for people like me? Thanks!

5 Likes

If you cannot find an IC nearby that can meet your needs, one of the best things about it is that you can totally start your own.
There are co-housing and ICs that are within cities so it is definitely a thing that exists.
In a place like Chicago I think the maxim that “if you build it they will come” probably applies.
Good luck!

1 Like

Carol, what you’re talking about seems like a really abundant notion of intentional community, especially in cities. I generally believe that EVERYONE can be an IC candidate if they find the right IC, but it sounds like your needs and desires might be more accessible than many.

If you look at the IC directory, there are a few listed in the Chicagoland area alone:

One way to start this process might be to reach out to them and see about a visit, and see what life there is like. It’s likely that the people in these communities may be a wealth of resources to help you connect to other groups that are similar to what you’re looking for.

I would also encourage you not to overlook the possibility of starting to create your community immediately around you. When we moved to Tacoma, we baked a lot of cookies, put them in baggies with an introduction letter (and photo and contact info) and just took them door-to-door around our neighborhood. Some folks we liked, some we didn’t… but now we have around a dozen people who are starting to do basically what you are talking about. It’s missing the “intentional” part of intentional community, but it’s definitely scratching the itch for the interconnected neighbor need.

If we want to live in this world of community, let’s not allow perfect to be the enemy of good – let’s water the grass where we are right now, and see what grows in it.

2 Likes

Would there be any issues with not having any ID? I’m sure many communities require such. This wouldn’t be the platform to elaborate.

I think actually many communities might not require identification, or they may have many ways to be flexible about that sort of thing. I wouldn’t let that stop you from reaching out and asking!

1 Like

Hi Carol, cohousing sounds like it would fit you well, you’d have your own unit/home (in big cities cohousing is often townhouse or duplex style buildings), and there would be a bunch of other people who want to do neighbour things like you do, plus there would be a commonhouse where everyone can gather together for the big parties or projects.