Nuclear Safe Zones

Is it time to start thinking about the possibility of Nuclear War? How do other people plan to Survive a Nuclear Holocaust over nothing? Would it be smart to join in with a Nuclear Safe Ecovillage? Or should we just stick our heads in the sand? Let me know what you think. - T

1 Like

It’s more than obvious that communities should be thinking about building [underground] storm/disaster shelters, most especially those in Tornado Alley & on the either of the coast lines (at least designating safer communities to go to in such cases). Root cellars help push through hard/long winters & could double as a disaster shelter if built well.

Ecovillages on/near mountains & hills are great places for any kind of disaster shelter! The though of an underground community; they would even have a head start on surface communities! This would also be a good place [IMO] to help/start planning for any kind of disaster; such as putting together disaster kits & bug-out/go bags. I recommend looking for places that help put together disaster kits for free. I also think (if this hasn’t been done already) that each large community should have a [few] team[s] that will meet others in the case of a disaster; for instance a hurricane hits, said team[s] from the safer communities will go as close as they can to the disaster area & direct &/or transport survivors to their (&/or the closest safe) community. There’s also free(?) disaster rescue/response training!

I know concrete can help attenuate radiation exposure; I don’t know how effective hempcrete would be, even after adding sand to strengthen it. I recently read up a bit on both.

Please forgive me for jumping around; when my mind snags onto something, the ideas start pouring.

As problematic as Putin is I don’t think he’ll press the proverbial red button, even he’s not that stupid/self-distructive.

We are pulling together some of the best, of the Non-Apocalyptic Spirits. But first, what is an Apocalyptic? An Apocalyptic is someone, who wants the Apocalypse to come, because they believe their side will be vindicated.

We don’t tell people what to believe, but we are creating an EcoVillage, for the Non-Apocalyptic Spirits, because we believe the Apocalypse can be averted, with Cooperation, Consideration, Decency, Justice, Kindness, Generosity, and Love. - T

Do you really want to be “non”, anything? What I mean by that is, by being “non” are you perhaps, in a sense, choosing sides. “I am this, I am not that”. Would it perhaps be more useful, or maybe a bit more to your point or ideology, to just say: “We are not participating in such. It is not of interest to us. For those who need that sort of thing, Blessings to you. But for us, we hold ourselves as mirrors. If you wish us to part of what you want, if you wish us to participate in what you think or feel or want, we appreciate the thought to include us. But thank you for your kind thoughts, and you can have them back with our best wishes. We do not wish to participate. Good luck to you.” ~~Well, just a thought. About a Gathering of folks who choose to come together in co-operation, and consideration, and kindness, and Love. With the Hand Our Stretched to Each Other.

Here is the Plan for Our Community:

It works by allowing people to Buy-In, to the Community, in the form of monthly payments, over a ten year period of time, and in return for that Contribution, and Cooperation, they will each receive a super fine place on the edge of the Valley Floor, where they can Build an Alternative Passive Solar Home, and a Cabin, on a 3 Acre Homestead, with water and good road access, as Land Stewards.

In this way the Village People will have them some Good Homes, and some Resources.

And to support their Self Sufficiency, and chances of Survival, in those Homes, Water will be Free.

Most of the Village People will want to have access, to a 2 Acre Farm Site as well, on the Valley Floor, as Land Stewards, to take good care of that land, and just to become a Small Farmer, who can contribute, and support their own self, and their families, by growing food, to be exchanged, within an Alternative Economy, which works largely, by Barter and Trade. And much of what we grow on the Mini-Farms will be sold to Village Foods, a produce store in town.

Economic Re-Localization.

This way we end up having a lot more Freedom. How? Everyone needs a Home. And some people buy new homes, or they build a new home on some land. And that is what we will be doing in Eden. But we can do it much more efficiently.

We can get a better deal on the Land, when we buy a larger Tract of Land. And some of us might even be able to get more House for the money, because we know how to trim off the fat.

We don’t have to try to fit the obsolete expectations of others, to get a loan, to buy the Land. No. That is not the way a Tree Grows. If it needs Water, it puts down deeper roots. If it needs Sun, it puts up higher branches.

We can do the same thing, with our own resources, just like a Tree, and in this way we will be setting an example, for the Next Generation, and for many other people, from all walks of life, and from all around the world, who may then wish to learn, how they can do the same thing back home, or in some other country. - T

http://edenvillage.net

I like your model in which everyone owns the commonspaces together, but each person or family has a chunk of land of their “own” to manage as they see fit. In most models I see out there that involve individual home ownership, people own their home (or have a 99 year lease if its a coop) and all people collectively own the land together, which would work for myself and my husband, but we also like the idea of dividing the land into plots, indeed that idea becomes more and more appealing as we move through this process. We can’t move to northern CA, but your model is logical and we like it.

Thanks. And I was thinking. We might even have to create our own form of Crypto Currency, as a unit of exchange, to promote getting things done. And so we might be able to buy this new Crypto Currency, with our standard Old School Money, but we might not ever be able to trade it back in, for Dollars, to make a profit, when the Dollar may have dropped precipitously in value, or when the Crypto Currency has increased in value, in relation to the dollar, because it is not meant to be used for speculation, but it is meant to stay, in the Community, circulating around, right here at home, to support all kinds of good projects getting completed. - T-Bone

Another word you can use to describe the Eden project, other than intentional community of course, is agrihood or agrivillage, I recently learnt these terms and they’re appealing to us.