Making my vision come to life

Hello,

My name is Sara and I am from the Finger Lakes region in western NY.

For years I have had a vision to create a community of like minded individuals who share a common purpose and common values.

My goal is to create a community that is centered around healing, family, spirituality, working with people who are struggling to find their way, and teaching/learning the skills necessary to succeed in such a community.

My goal would to leave as small of a carbon footprint as possible by creating our own power, water supply and food supply. I would love to be able to create an off grid community that uses solar power and rain water systems as well as other alternative power sources. I feel that through community gardens and raising livestock most of what is consumed by the community would ultimately be grown in the community.

To create a source of income for the community I would want to create an event space that would not only offer jobs for those in the community but for our neighbors in the surrounding communities as well. Ideally this would be a farm to table venue, ordering organic homegrown options. In creating such a space it would allow for members of the community to learn new skills and try numerous different job options out.

In this community I would also like to create some form of rental spaces for guests to stay so they can see what our community is all about.

I would love to find individuals who may have a shared vision or who would like to help create a community like this.

I am a single mom with three amazing children and want a space that is safe for all children to grow and learn new skills. One that teaches a different way of life, more hands on and skill based.

As I stated above I want a space for those who need to heal. I would love some form of a sanctuary or bunk house where people may stay for a short amount of time to guide if it would be a good fit for them.

I would want to connect with the community around me to be able to help those with mental illnesses (non-violent) find their way in life.

I have had visions for years of this community and I am ready to work on creating it. If this is something you may be interested in I would love to connect!

Sara

1 Like

Me too
I built everything but it’s not good nuf
I wonder when the solo, nucular, private room will be overgrown with a practical purpose?
FEMA is running out o funds
Lots will come then
Start now. Buy land. No time to loose

1 Like

Hey Sara,

I’m from Avnø Oasis in Denmark. The way we live here resonates with several points that you mentioned. We’re also focused on health, we grow our food, we organize events and courses to educate more people about health, permaculture, community life and more. We’re also looking for new members :slightly_smiling_face:

It seems like we’re on similar journeys. The vision I’ve had for a few years now is a Christian anarchist community in the Catskills region of New York. The Kingdom of God is possible if only more people would follow the teaching of Jesus. The problem is the massive diversity of opinion about what that teaching is. We’ll try to fix that. The other thing we will do is to find ways to sustain ourselves by pooling our labor and in general reduce our dependence on the outside world.

The effort is not going well. It is very hard to reach the admittedly very tiny audience who would have an interest in something like that. I am, however, fortunate to have come across the Cultivating Caring Communities network for support. We meet every Tuesday at 7:30 pm at https://meet.jit.si/cultivatingcaringcommunity. You are most welcome to join us any time.

We share similar goals. I wish you the best of luck. If ever in Eugene, Oregon, you should come say hi.

DJ