What is your ideal community?

Where would it be, who would live there, how would you live together?

4 Likes

A forest (as far from the city as possible) with moving water is where I want my permanent community. Full of diverse, dependable, independent & dependent, creative, adaptive people. People who share cultures, traditions, meals, companionship, & still love each other when s#!+ hits the fan. There would be multiple types of houses/homes; yurt, dirt, log, mixture of any. There’d be individual homes, shared homes, guest homes, & plenty of space for people passing through with tents. Our power/electricity would be of natural resources solar, wind, water, & anything else we can come up with. We’d have a large, shared food garden & many flower gardens. My desired community would also help other communities in need, near & far.

5 Likes

Mine will be off grid in the middle of the desert, I’m planning an education center to learn about and practice ancient planting and technologies which include water harvesting and foraging. The community will be rotating but want to be focus on sovereignty, diversity, and introvert friendly.

4 Likes

My ideal community would be about 50 people, with a central common area and individual homes within walking distance (half mile) of it. In the common area there would be a kitchen, workshop, library, meeting area, and a dormitory where people live who don’t want their own house or are there more temporarily. The common area could maybe be the only place connected to the internet or utility grid, and our homes could be simpler, smaller, more natural.

The community would grow food for itself and to sell, and have other small businesses so most people wouldn’t have to have outside jobs. We’d also have a school, church, recreational activities, so we could work, learn, worship, and play together; no one would have to do all of those with the community and those from outsice the community could join in some of those activities, but the opportunity would be there to do just about everything without driving somewhere.

My favorite locations would be here in southern Indiana, or the pacific northwest or near the smoky mountains (TN, NC). I’d like level ground for gardens and ball field, but to be surrounded by mountains. A stream or pond, suitable for swimming and fish would be good. I also really like trees.

7 Likes

My ideal community would be one sitting on about 5 to 10 acres of land. This land would be held in an irrevocable trust that required those living on the land to use permaculture practices in order to live there. There would be about 20 adults of all different ages living on this land. All the adults living on this land would be partners in a business venture wherein all of their extra money would go toward the businesses that they owned in the partnership. Each partner would earn equity in the partnership by either working at a 9-5 job somewhere else or could work on the estate as a gardener or daycare worker, or a cook etc.

This community would have an elder care program and a child care program. Once a partner earned enough equity in the partnership, there would be a provision where you could surrender your partnership stake in exchange for permanent elder care status. In other words, you would have earned the right to be cared for, for the rest of your life. In this way, the wealth would be transferred, in tact, from one generation to the next but the old folks would be taken care of by the group.

This partnership agreement would take care of housing, food, healthcare, entertainment and transportation. The land and housing could be leased from the trust by the partnership as a business asset. The partnership would live like a commune, but because the partnership would have rules for accountability and hard work, and these things would have to be accounted for, the partnership would be able to buy out anyone who left or was kicked out, and they could leave and their equity would be bought out by the partnership. But the managing partner would be able to assign rates of equity accrual that matched up with how much the partner contributed to the partnership.

The debt could be eliminated in a matter of a few years, and then the improvements on the land would be made with an eye toward self sufficiency and making sure the partners feel like they are living in paradise.

In my ideal community, there would be one or two large houses, where all the partners would have there own ‘motel room’ style space. They could have a small bathroom, bedroom, and kitchenette. In this way, when someone is just really in need of privacy, like we all are sometime, they could always just hang out in there own living quarters. There would be several commons areas for games and meals. There would be an activities committee that would be in charge of making sure there were fun and games taking place every week where we could bond with each other from time to time.

The idea would be to make these little villa type estates so beautiful and luxurious that more people would want to join. If we create a demand for more people to join than we can accommodate, then we buy another plot of land and split. If the new plot is owned by a permaculture ruled irrevocable trust, then doing this over and over again, will help save the planet.

So far, we have 4 acres and a small garden. We are off grid, producing our own electricity. We have a partnership agreement but we need to expand it and add a greenhouse and a large orchard. We also need to build a daycare and recruit some people to join. This all seems like a decades long project. Maybe we’ll see some progress before we die.
Peace.

3 Likes

Love the introvert-friendly aspect! We need more introvert-friendly communities in the world!!!

7 Likes

Hermit community in the wild, in the woods, preferably in a very warm climate to promote 100% self-sufficiency year-round or more. Buddhist-friendly community with lots of quiet space for meditation. The land would gradually be morphed into a beautiful magical permaculture garden of food and flowers, coexisting with the forest (and forest garden). Diet would be unprocessed, there would be no (or very minimal) “conventional waste” produced because shopping for food (or much else for that matter) will barely be done by anyone in the community - only at the beginning stage when setting it up.

This is perhaps leaning towards a primitive lifestyle without TV, and with minimal use of other technology. 100% of electricity from solar panels (or other innovative ways now or in the future that I am perhaps not aware of?). Artificial light will barely be used to allow people to tune in with the natural cycles of light, learning to work with it (again this depends on where in the world this will be).

No need for shared meals, only once in a while if it is so agreed. Connecting with others does no necessitate eating at the same time, but focus can be placed on intentional play, fun, and more calm connecting. People would be mostly living their own lives (as hermits) but regularly coming together, each participating at the level they feel comfortable, to work on common projects and shared areas - projects that could also extend beyond the community itself, for example cocreating with neighbouring indigenous people etc. Emphasis is however placed on working on own gardens and living areas, especially at first. Utilising human waste in the highest possible way, whichever will be suitable for that climate. This depends on future research. For example, humanure, terra preta etc. Although I am a mostly vegan eater myself, I recognise that depending on the climate hunting may be sensible in some cases if living 100% self-sufficiently, but if we-the group of people drawn to each to work on this vision together would prefer a vegetarian/vegan community, I wouldn’t mind either way as long as it works with self-sufficiency and sustainability values.

Here’s a preliminary description of my vision. Connect if you share many of its components! And let’s build it together! :slight_smile:

#permaculture #primitive #huntergatherer #hermit #hermitage #hermitcommunity #100%selfsufficiency #warmclimate #subtropical #tropical #startingcommunity #getting-started #starting-community #soulfamily #buddhism #meditation #international #internationalcommunity #sustainability

6 Likes

Introducing The Wimmin

It isn’t so long ago, or so far away, not really. In that timespace there is no word for fear. In villages and towns, on the land, in the woods, on the shores, fear is unknown. On the plains, in the hills, along the rivers, fear does not exist. On the roads and in the homes, there is no need for fear. Seasons and temperatures make no difference, nor does the lightness of sunrise or the dark of night. This is the world of the Wimmin.

The Wimmin know grief for there are partings,
disappointments, death.

The Wimmin know regret for in any time or place
hasty words can be spoken.

The Wimmin know disappointment for not always
does anyone get everything wanted or in the way expected.

The Wimmin understand hardship for the weather can be bitter and
even here the crops can fail and sickness can come into a body. Yet,
they don’t call these things hardships as we would. To them these are
cycles of life.

Anger is not unknown. There are momentary sparks quickly released
and aimed at no one and no thing.

There is no fear of hunger for grains are stored for the lean years. Never
among the wimmin does one starve while others are sated.

Since all have what is needed, there is no fear of loss.

Since all are respected and treated with kindness, there is no fear of
revenge.

In the Wimmin there is no word for fear—for there is nothing to fear,
no one to fear, to envy, to be jealous of, no one to distain or despise, no
one to outwit or defeat or even to defend against.

In a people who do not fear, giving and sharing bring the greatest joy.
Assisting each other and working together in good spirit, laughter and
song is a given.

For a people who do not fear, all that is done is creative, expansive.
Planting, building, celebrating, making clothing, crafting homes and
earthware and baskets and adornments. Using colors, textures, rocks or
shells, grasses or woods, fabrics or clays, fingers or knives. All is done in the
ease of there-is-always-plenty-of-time to make things beautiful, to make
them just right, to go with the maker’s imagination, to savor the making.

The Wimmin labor for themselves and for each other, their work always of
the essentials— shelter, food, satisfaction, laughter, creativity, connection.

Since all use according to need, there is no waste. Since each uses what
she needs, no more or less, there are no shortages.

Since all trust in each other, there is no hoarding. Profit is quite beyond
the comprehension of the Wimmin.

Among the Wimmin happiness is highly regarded. Although they would be surprised we even note that, for what is there besides joy and appreciation of life, of each other, of the Earth. Joy is connection, the Wimmin live in connection. They know no other way.
All is done from the heart, is given from the heart, is enjoyed from the heart. And the heart is a most creative place. When there is no fear, the heart can be most open indeed.
To the Wimmin there is no question but to attend the tiniest first feelings of imbalance or dis-ease whether in themselves or each other.
The Wimmin’s days are filled with appreciation, with the big and little, alone and together celebrations—some quiet, some downright rowdy, in the laughing and dancing sense, of course.
The Wimmin appreciate, and even more than that treasure and take delight in themselves, each other, the Earth, every part of their lives. Although they do not know the word, compassion fills the lives of the Wimmin—for the joys and agonies of one are felt by all.
Another word the Wimmin do not know is Lesbian. Yet, these wimmin love other wimmin from the very depths of their being. The Wimmin know Love.

Not so long ago there is no word for fear. Can we for a moment imagine a world, a life, a society without fear? On the surface no and no again. Yet, look a little deeper— feel that sigh, feel the heart expand, feel the start-ofa-smile, feel the tears just behind the eyes. The Knowing of this Life is in us. We can touch it, remember it. And, we can help to create it, live it again. For I am of the Wimmin as are you.
Not so long ago, or so far away, not really, the Wimmin live on the land and in villages, unable to imagine fear. Knowing only connection, creativity and celebration. They call it life. Perhaps it is time for us also to once again live. Shall we live, build our lives— together.

Jae Haggard
Sinister Wisdom #72 issue

2 Likes

My ideal community
Where will it be?
My ideal community would be located in a remote area outside the reach of any human laws in the vicinity of Southern New York or Long Island. Of course such a place does not exist yet. My place in the foothills of the Catskill mountains will have to do for now.

Who would live there?
I would like to be joined by followers of Jesus who love God and one another and who have a common purpose of creating a new, more just world based on the love and forgiveness of God rather than the evil, demonic, coercive, deceptive and exploitative realm of human rule. That probably doesn’t exist anywhere either, so we will accept anyone who is willing to learn and who is committed to following Jesus as best we can.

How would you live together?
Everyone is created in the image of God, so everyone has equal value. Therefore, no one can have dominion over another. When everyone follows God’s law to love one another, there is no need for human laws. When decisions are made by those who are affected by them, no one needs to make decisions for anyone else.

Money and Property
The worship of money has taken grotesk proportions in the world today. Jesus repeatedly encourages us to get rid of it and adopt an economy based on gifts where everyone can get their needs met when everyone contribute according to their ability. No need to assign a value to anything. Everything belongs to God anyway. We are just stewards and caretakers.

Work
We will seriously re-define work. Yes, there are tasks that need to be done for us to get our basic needs met. They will be assigned according to skills and talents. When they have been done, we will take turns doing the rest. More importantly, though, we will make sure there is ample time to work on our relationships with God, each other as well as our neighbors.

Since the traditional servant/master model of employment is exploitative, we will seek to rely on either our own production or exchange of goods with other similar nearby communities based on need and without assigning a value.

Meals
Breaking bread together is an essential part of living in community so we will do that as often as we can which is all the time. We do not have dietary restrictions other than delicious and nutritious food, but will try to accommodate people with special needs.

We generally believe we can accomplish more together than we can individually and that is how we approach all things. That is how we approach childcare, education, elder care, etc., etc.

Of course, such a place doesn’t exist yet either. A few come close and I will continue to work in that direction and encourage anyone like-minded to reach out for possible collaboration.

2 Likes

That’s alot of what I already prefer in starting a community. Although, mine would involve cutivating an oasis in the desert or high plains.

The community I’m working to build and my ideal are two different things. My ideal is an off-grid, mostly self-sufficient group raising much of their food. But none of us have the spoons for that. Many of us have mobility or health issues

The community we are designing is a walkable, slow paced living community. We have small homes (possibly hobbit hole style) and a large community building. Cooking at home is allowed, but eating in the commons is encouraged since 3 people cooking is more efficient than 20-50. The commons also has a movie room, a library, a craft room and offices. There won’t be any large scale farming, but permaculture and food forests can be built in.

We are a pagan group, so we would have a worship area, and possibly a permanent labyrinth.

Where? We are looking at Colorado, Minnesota, Illinois and Upstate New York, since these states have laws friendly to AFAB people, trans people, and the LGBT community. We need to be close enough to a city for medical needs, and work.

3 Likes

My vision is more 23rd century verse 15th century. I want to develop a community that embraces technology and uses it for sustainability and efficiency. I want to focus on developing technology and resources that are not just eco friendly but sustainable. This means rebuilding processes from the ground up so literally everything is recyclable, repurposeable, repairable and just generally lasts forever. This means avoiding things like epoxy resin and silicone adhesives which are not recyclable or reusable and making more things with glass, metals, and plastics that can be reused, repurposed or recycled. This philosophy would be used in everything from housing to cookware to clothing. In addition to doing this inside the community the goal would be the share this knowledge and development process with the world with video tutorials, local community engagement and by providing education opportunities. Essentially it’s an attempt to bridge our current society with that of a post scarcity society that resembles but isn’t a recreation of startrek.

I’m call the idea Titan Makers which is a play off words in that the concept is based in the idea of repurposing a disused military ICBM Titan 1 site and it’s really a very complex maker space that will be focused on BIG “titan sized” ideas. You can read more about it here for the moment. Titan makers Overview Google Drive

ayyyy. same ‘hat.’ Looking to form an intentional community in Southern California

4 Likes

My ideal community… my brainstorm:

I’ve visited a few monasteries and I wish that I could live in a community somewhat like a monastery, having a similar vibe but for laypersons (singles, families, couples, etc).
Mindfulness is practiced and quietude is valued.

Also:

• Co-housing (separate dwellings)
  • Mild and/or somewhat short winters
  • No pets/animals
  • Rural area (not super far away from stores and whatnot)
  • Walking paths
  • A common building (possibly for community meals, presentations, classes)
  • A common outbuilding/shelterhouse for outdoor activities and gatherings

-B

1 Like

This is from a book I was writing. But, this is what a true conscious intentional community would be like, if anyone ever decides to create one :slight_smile:

WHAT IS AN INTENTIONAL COMMUNITY?

I feel a good way to begin the process of understanding and perceiving community in a deeper way is to just jump right into it through a simple exercise that utilizes your own imagination and experience. So, let’s begin in the moment, where All possibilities are waiting to unfold.

Take a minute, relax yourself and your busy mind, just be aware of the natural flow of your breath. Imagine a place where you are in complete peace and harmony with nature, without any of the worries that often overwhelm our lives. This can be any place…a cool open meadow, a calm sunny beach, a dense forest or whatever feels right to you. Feel as much detail of this as you can. How does it smell, sound, feel? Let this resonate through your whole body, being completely present here in this place.

Now, imagine further that the endless search for meaning, comfort, safety, companionship, possessions, etc, that often encompass our whole lives is no longer necessary here, as you feel it fade away in the beauty and wonder of this timeless place. Feel the warmth and love of this place building in your own heart. As you do this, look around…feeling a loving abundant community of fellow beings gathering to welcome you home.

You have no need to search for someone to love here or build cookie cutter relationships based on cultural expectations or social norms, because Love and real connections are present all around you and in you. There is no need to seek enlightenment here, because the wisdom of God, the Universe and your Self is present in all the people around you, the Earth and your own body, which gives voice to this infinite wisdom and complete freedom in your daily life. There is no need to ‘get to the top’ or be ‘successful’ here, because there are no classes, corporations or industry that create socioeconomic roles to play. Everything you need or want is present here without conditions, without the need for money. There is only complete creative freedom and potential, and a depth of co-creative relationships unparalleled in human history. You are part of a community of beings, unfolding the infinite potential that is part of your heritage. “We are here for you” you hear whispered in your own soul, and you know that you are part of everyone in this community as they are part of you. You spread your arms and open yourself fully to everyone here, and they to you, knowing there are no secrets, just one shared experiencing we all manifest in our own unique ways. There is no pretense here or judgment, only soul to soul connections, one Heart shared by all.

2 Likes

that’s a good one !
Not sure how to use this forum (wrk the buttons, etc) but looks like the Qs been up since spring & has 16 posts?
For me I don’t care about much of the accouterments (legal structures, rent/buy/barter, community intention even, buildings and land). This Q is actually how community is formed. So best for me? is the RELATIONSHIPS. I mean, dayum, I spent a good bit at sea (& on islands) so ina way this is some what ofa closed social system. All ya got (in my world) IS the relations.
AND
THAT forms the community,
I’d like to have a facilitated consensus decision making process (possibly by a academy of co-training facilitators). Anther process common is too arms length (‘consent to’). To have agreements the 1st order of business for the community (possible B4 getting to the land?) on arrival? That every 1 counts, the use of diligence of effort by all, will find space for doing that fits for every individual, an air of inquisitiveness rather than competition, etc, etc. The rest is just floatsum’n jetsum. Sure I would have liked to start Rocky Mnt Instut. and have a handle on the new sustainable sciences, or been @ Ganas (Esselon?) for human potential development, but sometimes the group mind (intention) can B 2ndary to my living (may B I just have so many interests I can hang “with whatever”)? aahahahaa
Not sure a ‘requirement’ but may need a private space for my owne sleeping?
In Community,
BroChad
…❦…

It would be about 10 acres, in Clackamas County or Washington County in northwest OR. It would be within a half-mile of public transit so those of us who can’t drive are able to access work/other things viably, and yet it would have some ruralness to it, on the edge of a small city. We would have a variety of housing options, from individual houses to shared dwellings to yurts to hobbit holes! We would have a common building to do things together, we would have plenty of room out of doors and in the common building for kids to play. We would also have an adults-only space for adult gatherings. We would find a perfect balance between personal liberty and collaborative cooperation. We would grow as much of our food as possible in our gardens and food forest set up. We’d have chickens and Nubian goats in the common area (with a good-sized enclosure to live in and have space to be happy animals and make us eggs, meat, milk, cheese, etc.)

We would also have events for the general public to attend such as arts classes, concerts, makers’ markets, etc. which would help us pay for the space, we would collectively hold the land as an LLC.

We would be a mixture of ancestries, abilities, faith traditions and lack-thereof, but we would all value creativity and helping each other and respecting each other’s intrinsic value and have a collective passion for being connected with nature.

For starters, mine would be a beginning framework to actualize my architectural and engineering designs to further develop and fine tune the city I’ve been designing for several years. Ideally, I’d have hectares for this and out west where it would be excellent ground to support it. I’ve been looking at some good deals on property. Plus, I know how to use floodplains to our benefit. It’s a really cool idea to experiment with.

Well, I was reading recently that humans naturally form into groups of about 150, so I guess it should have about 150 members, if small-ish, or be organized into groups of 150 or less for coordination purposes. Ideal locations would be far-enough away from cities and towns, down bad-enough roads, that the community is not easy to find and people are not likely to visit unexpectedly. This is because I would like a core value of the community to be protecting the community from threats like pandemic illness and street crime. So, there should be quarantine facilities and every community member would be happy to use them when returning from outside trips, for the protection of the community. Visitors to the community would also be required to quarantine long enough to insure they are not contagious with any dangerous illness. Visitors should also be required to be fingerprinted or otherwise background-checked for a history of violent crime and the circumstances evaluated before they are allowed entry.

Ideally, the community will be off the grid, with multiple power sources, sufficient to power modern technology with comfort, and also have some protective border although I would not want that to interfere with wildlife movement so I am not sure what form to suggest for that.

It would have its own staffed hospital (some community members will be medical professionals) and a medical helicopter for emergency transport elsewhere, if needed.

Other excellent location characteristics are multiple water sources (rain, groundwater, humidity sufficient for atmospheric water generators) and a relatively-comfortable year-round climate that doesn’t require a lot of indoor heating or cooling. A location without mosquitoes, or rarely having mosquitoes, is also a good idea.

I think that incinerator toilets would be an excellent idea although perhaps compost toilets would be needed for growing vegetables, although they are really gross to manage compared to the clean and smell-free white ash from incinerator toilets. It would also be useful if each home had its own atmospheric water generators and rainwater collection system and/or well so there would be no need for general community plumbing. Gray water could be used to water gardens next to each home.

There could be all sorts of homes for different sorts of people - isolated cabins to big rooming houses. Members could buy a home or permanent membership or pay monthly to rent.

There would be no required religious or spiritual views, eating habits, or other lifestyle “rules” other than respect and consideration for other people and for the natural environment. Along those lines, members would agree to sustainable living practices and non-noise and non-light polluting technologies. There would be a community saltwater lap pool, a play pool, hot tub (or hot springs), sports grounds and courts, a gym, soft-floor rooms with mirrors for Yoga and dance and exercise classes, an amphitheater good for theater and music and dance performances, and a meeting house with a community kitchen for members who wanted to plan large group events or have community meals and cooking classes. There would also be soundproofed rooms for music and voice practice, and a recording studio. There would also be community Arts facilities like a firing kiln for pottery, and rooms with resources for painting and drawing classes, as well as photography and other visual arts. It would be great if someone wanted to hold afternoon “dance church” every day like sometimes happens at Esalen, where someone plays music every day at a certain hour, for an hour, and anyone who wants can show up to dance. There would be hiking and biking trails.

The community would be governed by a “manager” and an “assistant manager” for periods of two years and these would be selected by random name draws of competent adult members 23 years of age or older and of normal mental capacity. A person whose name was drawn would be permitted to opt out of their term due to a compelling reason like a community job that already required too many hours or small children under their care, etc. There would also be two “community assistants” to help the manager and assistant manager and these would serve for 6-month terms and they would be between the ages of 16 and 22, also drawn randomly. If the community had “special needs” members, then there would also always be a “special community assistant” to advise the managers - either a reasonably-mentally-competent person with special needs or a parent or caregiver of one. In addition, there would a “Counsel of the Future” to advise the manager and assistant manager. It would have six members, serving 90 days each, chosen randomly, of members between the ages of 12 and 17. And there would additionally be a “General Counsel” of six members, serving 90 days each, of randomly chosen adults 18 and over.

There would be very simple “laws” for the community - Respect yourself and others. Use only what is yours or given with permission. Speak the truth. Make decisions with consideration for the good of the entire community. When there is disagreement, seek to understand the other and argue with kindness and mutual consideration. Escalated disputes would be brought to the managers and evaluated by the counsel. Mediation would be used to help the disputing parties find a resolution. Voting would be used to make important community changes, with ample time for debate. No changes would be made without an 80% consensus.

People could form businesses in the community and trade with money or barter. Or people could work remotely or for others in the community, retire, or form other trade systems that suited them. The base community organization would own the land and its income would come from the purchases and rent of living and work space on the land. Those funds would support the shared community resources, including a “safety patrol” on 24-hour call to respond to emergencies, if people wanted to do that as their full-time work instead of have it shared among many properly-trained community members.

In other words, it would be much like many small towns in the world except with simpler laws and protection from pandemic illness and banishment of problematic residents.