Looking for new members in Permaculture Community in SW Virginia

Hi, All,
I purchased 30 acres south of Jonesville, VA, in 2019. It has 10 acres cleared and 20 surrounding acres of forest. This was a former horse farm and has a 30x60 barn with 7 box stalls, 1 double box, and tack room. I’m currently rehabbing the singlewide trailer that was here with septic, spring water, and electric. After I build my passive solar, underground or earth bermed house, the trailer will become the community center and temp housing for new members. So far, I have put in several raised beds planted in veggies and berries, cut one swale and started a food forest, and have built mobile shelters for chickens and pigs with movable solar electric net fencing. I have a tractor with loader, backhoe, tiller, brush hog, and box grader; a riding mower, and lots of power tools. New members are responsible for building their own housing and helping with community projects. The first family I had join me in 2020 didn’t work out and have since moved on to something less strenuous. Prefer libertarians, veterans, and/or skilled and mature members. No loafers or parasites need apply. If you sincerely want to develop a homestead or farm but don’t want to do it alone, I’d love to talk with you.
Joy and abundance,
Cory “Cimarron” Layne

1 Like

My name is Karina Anderson of Coalition for True World Change (www.trueworldchange.org) in San Diego. I am hoping we can discuss your permaculture community. 4trueworldchange@gmail.com

1 Like

Hello! I just joined this forum although I have browsed this site from time to time looking at communities. I am intrigued by your post about your property and your intentions for it. I would like to know more about you and what you are doing now at your farm as it has been a while since this post. I too am looking to be in a small community of like minded people as I can’t do a homestead alone. I am very interested in permaculture and food foresting. I like the area you are located in. I would like to discuss on email if you are interested. Regards

Hi, Snowball,

I’ve attached a pdf with pictures and more info on the farm. I’m looking for liberty-minded folks with at least a basic understanding of what permaculture is, a willingness to help with projects a few hours a day or on weekends if you need to work a job elsewhere. The farm is still in my name but I plan to put it into a land trust as soon as I find a few more people who want to homestead here.

Right now I’m offering lots to rent, and have one family of 4 living in their 5th wheel since July until they decide whether to stay or find their own land. They plan to stay at least two years and are trading their labor for rent—40 hours at $10 an hour equals $400 a month rent which includes electric, water/gray water drainage, and use of laundry and indoor bathroom. Any extra hours accrues in an escrow account towards their down payment if they decide to buy an acre or two or go with a 99-year lease.

I’d need some info about you and any others who would be coming with you. This is not to be nosy, but to determine whether you would be a good fit to join our little group. Things like name, age, height/weight, health condition, political position (you can find out by taking this simple quiz at World’s Smallest Political Quiz), financial status, skills, and other info needed to determine if you are “like-minded” with us, capable of supporting yourself(ves) until you can produce enough to live on through the farm or other business venture(s), and physically capable of the work required to build a homestead. It’s okay if you are not capable of heavy lifting, we have machinery for most of that, but you should be able to plant seeds or transplants, weed, harvest, prune, care for livestock, or something of value to the community.

Once we have your info, and it meshes with our plans for the property, you’ll receive an invite to come for a visit. We have plans to build a bunk house and tent platforms in 2023, but for now accommodations are still a little primitive. I have an unfurnished spare bedroom and half bath with heat and lights if you come during the cold months or A/C if it’s hot out. You’ll need to bring a sleeping bag and air mattress or pad, so it will be like camping out, only inside.

Joy and abundance,

Cory Layne

(276) 832-2563 (text only)

(Attachment 1187 Rollers Chapel - Pics 211231.pdf is missing)

1 Like

I like that you’re thinking of various ways for folks to buy in, whether that be through conventional buying or through a 99 year lease co-op style. I think either can be done in land trusts. Flexability is desirable, though admittedly requires more paperwork sometimes and that’s why some communities choose one specific modality and stick with it.

I gazed at your profile for a bit before I realized you saying a lot of what I think and couldn’t can’t but thinking I could be a perfect fit in your community