Introduce yourself and meet others

Lars – the “reply” function in Discourse just serves as an indicator that it IS a reply, and what it is a reply to. It doesn’t thread or sub-indent the replying conversation in a way that you might have seen on other platforms. So what you see above (and in this message) is a reply that shows up sort of looking like a brand new post.

There are a lot of reasons why Discourse opted to go with this very flat interface (vs nested) and I can see the pros and cons of it.

2 Likes

Top of the morning! Anyone up for a spot of tea?

6 Likes

Yes, ok I see. I realized that it’s how it functions and that you can’t choose. It just felt a bit messy when the reply appeared further down, but on the other hand you don’t get the long comment sections.

2 Likes

Hi everyone,
I’m Lars Michael, born and raised in Norway but craving to live with an international community vibe. I’m 32 now, and currently studying at the university to be a teacher in music, science and school gardening. From before I have my bachelor in renewable energy and my master of science in a field called industrial ecology. Completed a permaculture course around 2018, which got me interested in ecovillages. Have spent the last years traveling a bit in Europe to volunteer in different communities. Have yet to find somewhere to settle down for a longer period.
Interested in connecting with others to hear their story, and learn also how to manage the community life financially. I also love music and working together growing food :blush:

4 Likes

Hi, I’m Beka (she/her). My family and I are founding an IC in Minnesota, along with several other families. It’s main focuses are children and families, intergenerational, social and environmental justice, growing our own food, sustainable energy, and living life together. I’m excited to get ideas from other people and communities and make connections.

2 Likes

Hey @koreyb, woud you mind linking your Telegram group in the new “Other Spaces to talk about Community” Topic?

2 Likes

Hi everyone, I’m Brandon and I’m currently living in east Tennessee. I’ve fancied the idea of starting my own community in the past and I found this website/group while I was initially researching free land and ghost towns for sale. Then I saw somewhere mentioned intentional communities and reminded me of the idea. So now I’m considering joining a community nearest me. I’m all about true green living and returning to living harmoniously with nature and spiritually as our ancient ancient ancestors were practicing before. You can call me a visionary for a world better than what we were born into and want the highest good for all beings and as well as allowing redemption because we’re all works in progress and not everyone has the best tools in the toolbox provided they have said metaphorical toolbox. I’m a firm believer in the golden rule and striving to be the example one wants to witness in the world whatever it may be. Essentially, just be the change you want to see in the world. Anyway, one of my greatest passions is a new architecture I’m designing for not just homes, but cities as well as well as anything in between being all self sufficient and carbon neutral to negative in harmony with a given local landscape both geologically(including invisible telluric forces(electric/magnetic/ley lines) and celestially(solar/lunar cycles). I also incorporate sacred geometry in the mix. And last but not least, my preferred and ideal diet is pescatarian(fish and veggies as well as fruit) which is in my blood anyway being 1/8th Portuguese with relatives out of the island of Madeira. Other than that, feel free to ask me any reasonable questions. Glad to be here!

3 Likes

Hello. I can not access my starter course or contact by email. Please help!

Hi Catherine! I’m in western Mass, super close to CT. I’d love to talk more about your vision.

Hi Lila! I just read your post and I appreciate your sharing. I love the desert! I only lived a brief while in Arizona (most of my life I have been in Connecticut) but I truly fell in love with it. I too just purchased The Cooperative Culture Handbook and I would love to join a discussion group about it! Please let me know when you think to begin.

2 Likes

Hi Renee!
Glad to hear from you! I am happy to talk about visions and dreams with you! Let me know when you are available. I am around most weekends and evenings.

Blessings…
Catherine

1 Like

Hello All, I am Korey, and am familiar with many pronouns and don’t mind how they are applied to me, though I’m commonly known as a male, or a man, but not a mailman, aged about 46 sun cycles. I am alive currently in the Western Finger lakes region in NY about 40 minutes south of Rochester.

I’ve been dreaming of fostering and building a community for about six years and have been taking part in managing a property very conducive to such an endeavor known as St. Michael’s Mission. St. Micheal’s was originally built as a seminary school and here is a quick look: St. Michael’s Mission aerial, January 30, 2021 - YouTube . The deeper history surrounding the property is Catholic and communal and as one may imagine very structured.

My aim, or at least my hope is that a group forms to live with intent in as self sufficient a manner as possible, for today we seem to be facing societal challenges of all sorts and to live closer to how our elders did I believe can and will be very rewarding.

Yes, I am “spiritual”, love to study various books, but do not hold to any one religious ideology except love and that there is an ever loving presence, or creator whom can make himself, herself, or itself present at any moment and can speak however it suits, and we can agree to call it God, and it probably loves all pronouns.

I have much to be thankful for in my skill set; flying airplanes, building things, carpentry, mechanics, computer / internet business experience. I’ve been self employed for more than 20 years. My primary aim in life seems to be creating little versions of myself and I call them my children, six of them boys, one of them a lady, and one unknown. (yet to be born).

I am here as I am hoping to meet other people with experience in forming community, maybe some who would want to take on this epic task at St. Michael’s. There is a group of people here now though not so much intentional.

Among the biggest challenge in today’s world is money and the creation and love thereof. I’ve studied Bitcoin and things like it for the last decade. I envision a community not based on money per say, but value. I someday hope to marry the consensus building mechanisms of cryptocurrency with the virtues needed to live intentionally in a community and can speak fluently in crypto and how this may work. I started a Telegram group for anyone that wants to discuss any intentional community aspirations. See my profile if you’d like a link. =]

Korey

3 Likes

I sure will Catherine, still working out some details. Hopefully I’ll get it figured out and post it next week.

1 Like

Why were Korey’s posts flagged/hidden?

Hi everyone,

I’m part of Herding Cats Collective. We are an urban intentional community based out of Calgary, AB.
We are a 11 or so group of people — ages 24 to 69 — six of us live together in a home that I own and plan to share ownership within the next year.

We are together since a little over two years, we all trained with Diana Leafe Christian in Sociocracy as a governance method and in Non-violent communication. We have transformed the back and the front of the property into garden space, we cook for each other every night, have fire.

Our aim is to create living spaces that caters to the needs of visionaries leaders that wants to have more their life energy available to do the work that needs to be done in this world whether it is to heal ourselves, start alternative schools, ecovillages and generally grow a culture where most of people most of the time have abundant options to act from the natural joy of contributing.

We aim in the next few month we will be confident to commit to a legal entity to own this home and offer the framework to other friends and allies to buy other homes in the neighbourhood using the same model.

Check us out on instagram:

(Login • Instagram)

4 Likes

Welcome, I love the name of your collective! I look forward to hearing about the journey y’all are on with starting up, and deciding on your legal framework.

I read Diane Leafe Christian’s book Creating a Life Together before moving into my current community, and flip back through it from time to time as different conflicts come up. Thoughts come up like “I think Diane mentioned something like this once or twice in her book… I’m going to go check.” It has become a good resource.

4 Likes

Hey Ryan, just wanted to ask a quick question. I just got into low-income housing near Boston but will be getting involved in PUSH Buffalo. But i need a way to stay there maybe a week at a time for making connections, then come back here. I have not really gotten connected there enough yet to ask anybody but thought i would start with you. I know it is a long shot. Congrats on working for FIC!

1 Like

Very cool! Have you tried getting in touch with anyone from anyone from PUSH about this? Could also try getting in touch with someone from Cooperation Buffalo. There is a hostel in Buffalo. If you couchsurf, and have an account, there are many active couchsurfers in the area as well.

1 Like

Hello from Palm Springs CA, where it is getting hotter and drier every year. I’ve been interested in cooperative living and working most of my life and was able to work for a collective in San Francisco for a while. Participated in the Green Party and consensus in the 80’s. Now my spouse and I are in our 60’s and in the beginning of the adventure of finding a community that’s a good fit for us. We have an RV and are traveling across the north of the US in May and in October, we’ll travel across the south. We spend our summers in Provincetown MA. In 2014, we moved from Oakland CA to Provincetown, but the winter was so dark and cold and isolated that we came running back to California. We love cities or towns with lots of art and lively community, so rural living is probably not for us. We love being in multi-generational and diverse community, so over 55 places are probably not for us. We are queer and obvious, so probably red states aren’t a good fit (also healthcare.) We are excellent communicators but not great gardeners. We have a cat, and love dogs. I’m a former horse-trainer, and would love to be somewhere with animals. Felice is a book-keeper as well as an author/editor, somatic sex-educator and artist. I am an embodiment and resilience educator and dance/movement arts facilitator.
Here to learn about intentional communities, make connections and perhaps visit places in our travels.

4 Likes

Hi Adam, i think we met in. FIC forum!
Glad to see you are still interested in So Cal! !

2 Likes