Anybody thinking about community in Costa Rica?!

Anybody got their eyes on CR!? I’m thinking of co-creating a small homestead on the Pacific Coast somewhere between Jaco and Uvita/Ojochal , with ocean view lots, permaculture, near some surf spots, spring water, river…

Hi @ammo_44 ! I added the permaculture tag for you, as well as a couple of other tags that seem useful for organization as the forum grows.

1 Like

Hello, I am also thinking of heading down that way. Have you visited any of the existing communities there? What are your thoughts?

Well I’ve visited Fuente Verde in Tinamastes (not close enuf to the ocean), Serenity Gardens (not much community glue and in the cloud forest a bit too much)…so far my fav spot is St. Michael’s Sustainable Community—I like that it’s multigenerational and permaculture-based, but not wild about one guy kindof being the head honcho, even though I really like Justin a lot…I will be down again for April and will check out Selva Armonia near Uvita, , visit Rancho Mastatal, check out a retreat center in the making in Bocas Del Toro Panama, and maybe look at some lots to create my own ecovillage.

2 Likes

Unless you intend to collaborate with and allow the leadership by native people of Costa Rica, please DON’T! Many south american / carribean / central american latinos agree that the last thing we need is more foreigners hiking up the price of living by creating new homes and bringing in nonnative influence. Unless you are Costa Rican yourself, don’t. You aren’t wanted there. They are trying their best to recover from colonization and a white transplant community only makes it harder.

Did you ever move to Costa Rica? I myself have been thinking about it for a while and I lived there back in the early 2000’s

No—-never pulled the trigger, but I’m currently checking out some ecovillage spots in Nayarit near Puerto Vallarta —guess I’m a bit addicted to the hunt! :joy:
….What part of CR did you live in?

I’m heading back down to CR in November to look at 4-5 ecovillages….how is your search going?

agree with kyra. make sure it’s native costa rican-led. otherwise it’s using western privilege to take advantage of opportunities you can’t find in your home country. ie affordability for you while pricing those whose land you are on and is their birthright out.

Hey ammo,

Whatever became of you? Did you make it back to Puerto Vallarta or Nayarit yet?