Seeking Older Artists interested in living in an Intentional Community

Hello,
I am reaching out because I am hoping to connect with other older artists that have an interest in living in an intentional community. I have been interested in living in an eco-conscious community for quite some time. I owned a senior residential care home for several years and became very familiar with the systems we have in place in this country to support people as they age. Basically, people are being warehoused for a profit in too many scenarios. As an artist and an independent individual I would like to be able to have a better plan. Many people don’t want to think about getting old so they just don’t make adequate plans to age on their own terms.
In a nutshell, I would like to find a group of people interested in creating a community where old artists can support each other to make art 'til they die. I see no reason a group of individuals can’t form a community that can provide everything a “retirement” community provides but under their own control. I have watched so many older individuals have everything they built taken away by family members that don’t want to deal with the hassle of supporting them to continue being creative and people who give up what they love because they don’t want to be a “hassle” to their kids. I believe that a group a dynamic, creative Elders have the power to create their ideal community arrangement and maintain their creative independence. Does this resonate with anyone?

2 Likes

HI Mel, this resonates with me. Sounds very sensible and thanks for bringing up the topic cause yep, we are all going to get old yet somehow nobody wants to talk about it. I also appreciate that you owned a senior residential care home, so you must have a very good and sober idea of what it takes to run one. What state are you in? I am in California.

The problem with this web site is I never know if someone has written back to anything that I have posted or replied to, but I’d like to hear more about your vision, where you are located, and how this would work.

Good afternoon melecompte,

We had a similar vision, an intentional community for mature adults, third-agers, empty-nesters, retirees, seniors, call it what you will. A place where folks who have had their careers and families can age gracefully in community, in natural tranquility, while giving back to the planet.

We’re not artists. We are environmentalists and vegan. We purchased 100 hectares of land in the Amazon rainforest of Ecuador that has been slowly deforested over the past several decades, with the purpose of creating a community, fruit forest, reforestation and conservation project. We have 4 houses and other infrastructure. We have started planting trees, and caring for the existing plantings organically.

We welcome artists, as long as they are vegan :wink:

Let us know if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Michael and Terry

Las Aguas Risas - Laughing Waters Vegan Community website
Las Aguas Risas - Laughing Waters Vegan Community IC listing

I don’t know where you’re located, but in Portland OR there’s an elder-specific intentional community called PDX Commons, I literally walked past it today when in town haha. Its a condo building, so not applicable for everyone, expensive to buy in, etc. but it is designed to foster community for elders, governing themselves on their own terms, I suspect a lot of the folks there are artists/creatives, though it isn’t a requirement. Its only for folks who are able to manage daily life without looking-after beyond what other residents can do for each other, so once folks reach a certain point re. medical needs they can’t always stay on, but with things like home care aides through agencies that helps people stay put longer, just like any other apartment situation.

This sounds interesting. Where is it located please?