Harm in Communities

Trigger warning for sexual assault and race-related violence

What has been your experience living in community and experiencing harm? How have the communities you lived in supported members who were harmed by another member? I know Restorative Justice is starting to be taken up, but what processes have you seen that worked? What are the best ways (in your opinion) to deal with sexual assault in a community. What about harmful words or actions related to identity?

2 Likes

I would imagine it would depend on the level of harm we’re talking about, let’s take the sexual assault angle for instance. I think the response would be different if someone said something crude about someone else and that someone else felt unsafe, than it would be if someone physically harmed someone sexually. The former might be resolved through conflict resolution and the latter should probably be dealt with via law enforcement because of the magnitude of it. And then once criminal justice was pursued and rendored to the perpetrator the community would have to most likely not allow that person to return, I guess each community would have to annalyze what they’d do.