Disability/Ableism in Communities & Villages

i have never lived in an intentional community before, but i have lived, and i invite my fellow disabled folk, esp. queer, Black, Indigenous disabled folk, who have lived in communities/villages before to answer these questions; which community did you and/or do you live in? did you and/or do you feel safe/respected? for wheelchair users, was the physical organization/layout and architecture accessible? for neurodivergent folk, did you find that your way of thinking/feeling was valued?

4 Likes

When I have more time to elaborate I would love to discuss this because I’m openly gay disabled and on the Spectrum and have recently endured a lot of trauma as a result of communities who claim to be affirming and accommodating

2 Likes

if some things are private and/or you aren’t up for calling anyone out, you can also message me.

1 Like

ableism is definitely widespread in the ic movement, which is one of the downsides to it right now unfortunately. I have personally faced that as a disabled person struggling with houselessness. I was always pushed back in the queue because I couldn’t offer as much labor… which is ultimately why I opted to create my own, which instead uses a leftist model that doesn’t measure someone’s value by their production. Sometimes we have to make solutions so our future generations don’t suffer as we do. :frowning:

2 Likes

that sounds entirely ridiculous but it’s also tragically familiar. have you ever thought of leading a discussion about this on your Discord? i’d attend

1 Like

Yes let’s! Put it in the discord chat and I will

1 Like

Thank you for raising this important & neglected topic. I am currently disabled by a chronic illness. I have a young adult son who has down syndrome. I have observed ableism from many individuals & communities who claimed to “embrace diversity.” It’s long passed time to change our collective consciousness around ubiquitous & pervasive ableism.

I am currently in the design phase of building a small accessable community on my land in Vermont. I welcome any & all input.

3 Likes

I would love to hear more about your member’s vision for your new community.

1 Like