Anticapitalist community life?

Hey there! My name is Kyra and I am assembling a team of people to put together an anti-capitalist community that functions as much outside of money as possible (some is still necessary at times for example: land taxes.) I find that many current intentional communities seek to grow indefinitely, and choose to do so through profit and purchase. I wish these communities well, but I find that they are (either intentionally or unintentionally) classist and exclusionary in their requirements of members. They require purchase of a plot, monthly fees, or rent.
What I intend Willowhaven to be is a space created by and for queer, bipoc, disabled, and low income people - this means it has to be economically accessible.

People who are anti-capitalist, what are your thoughts? Would you like to participate? Or even just provide input? We have a discord server and a mailing list. Comment or dm. <3

1 Like

I have a friend in Colorado who is seriously trying to buy a large plot of land to subdivide into many small plots, each selling for a few hundred dollars. She has a well developed plan for an intentional community and has evidently created a similar community some years ago in Nepal. She might be interested in hearing from you!

That does not quite sound anti-capitalist to me. That model (apparently very common among communities on this site) maintains private ownership of the individual plots. I think that might be a core aspect of capitalism, isn’t it?

I’m not quite sure if it is true or not, but I think someone told me that originally only landowners could vote here in America. Everyone else were outside influence. Some might still argue that land ownership continues to be the ticket to power and influence to this day.

A Community Land Trust or a Community Land Cooperative might be closer to what @KyraLavenderDove is visioning, but then again, maybe not quite. Either way, the governing body would still have the power to exclude or include whomever they want.

Maybe what she is looking for is an anarchist approach freed from state domination and slavery to Mammon. In a couple of weeks here at New Covenant House, we will begin to study Chapter 4 in Alexandre Christoyannopoulos’ doctoral thesis published in book form as Christian Anarchism. I expect that chapter to provide some answers to the question: How do you implement true anarchism (which, by the way, is inherent in Christianity) in the midst of a violent, deceptive and exploitative state?

That’s true. It is not entirely anti-capitalist. The goal would be to buy the land cheap then sub-divide it into enough pieces so that no one need pay over around $300 or so. But almost anyone can raise $300 in a short time if they are not having to pay rent by just flying a sign if necessary. Still, not a perfect approach for sure. Also, even a community land trust model requires someone to buy the land first so that’s not it either, unless you already own the land. Oh well, there’s always Slab City for the true anarchist!

I want to help. My name is Everett. I can only offer my toil. Just sources of a website. It’s more than you would expect. Thanks. Share if you can. https://www.universalvorticesuniversity.com/about-3-1